Coursey, D.. N.p.. Web. 26 Sep 2013. <http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidcoursey/2012/01/02/you-be-the-judge-are-bloggers-journalists/>.
Article Title: You Be the Judge: Are Bloggers Journalists?
Summary: This article looks into the question of whether bloggers are journalists. This reoccurring question is so important because if bloggers are journalists they would in fact have the same rights as journalists under the first amendment. Based on Judge Hernandez 7 requirements must be fulfilled to qualify someone as a journalist:
- Education in journalism.
- Credentials or proof of affiliation with a recognized news entity
- Proof of adherence to journalistic standards such as editing, fact-checking, or disclosures of conflicts of interest
- Keeping notes of conversations and interviews conducted
- Mutual understanding or agreement of confidentiality between the defendant and his/her sources
- Creation of an independent product rather than assembling writings and postings of others
- Contacting “the other side” to get both sides of a story
These qualifications make it difficult for bloggers to qualify as journalists. Although some of the criteria may be met, usually not all of it is met and therefore many bloggers will not qualify under journalistic terms. However, on the other end, there are many people in the journalism world who’s jobs do not require all of these ‘requirements.” At the end of the day, the one thing that it comes down to is who has the money to go to court and defend themselves and who doesn’t. The internet permits everyone to publish what they want, however the money to back up the writing is what allows stories to stay in print once they become controversial.
This article relates to the first article I found and therefore will aid my paper. I also think Hernandez’s 7 requirements of journalism are very interesting and will definitely aid my paper. Finally, the way this article brought up the concept of money allowed another door to be opened which may aid my paper, and will help put the many different cases surrounding this issue at rest.
This essay overall, just added to the last article I found. It did however speak more about the financial aspect of the question and this will definitely open up my eyes to another issue surrounding the topic, so therefore I will look to find more articles on the financial aspects of the issue in the coming weeks.